It was great to hear from those of you who called or sent an email after the last newsletter! Please keep in touch! This week’s post is about OTC diet pills. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments so that I can share them with everyone!
There have been many stories in the news this last week about
over-the-counter (OTC) diet pills.
Just last week, the FDA issued an advisory detailing 23 reports about consumers having experienced liver-related problems and one death from the use of Hydroxycut products. Iovate Health Sciences USA, Inc. of Blasdell, New York and Ontario, Canada the manufacturer of Hydroxycut announced on the same day that it is voluntarily recalling Hydroxycut branded products sold in the United States.
In December, the FDA issued a warning regarding 28 weight loss products that contained undeclared pharmaceutical (prescription drug) ingredients sometimes in amounts far greater that the amount approved in legitimate Rx drugs. In January the FDA added 41 more products to the list!
Please follow the link to the list of products and make sure you and your family are not taking any of them!
I have never recommended OTC diet pills for many reasons:
* They don’t work by themselves
* They contain stimulants often in amounts that cause side effects
* They usually contain ingredients in “proprietary” amounts – meaning they won’t say how much you get per dose
* They always state that they work best when following a sensible diet and exercise program (You’ll lose weight by following such a program without the pills!)
* You’ll always gain back what you’ve lost when you stop taking them
What I Do Recommend
1. Cleanse Your Body… Start with a detoxifying cleanse to get rid of
toxins and wipe the slate clean!
2. Exercise Daily… Plan to walk 30 minutes every day. This can be as
simple as parking a 15 minute walk away from where you work and walking to work in the morning and back to your car after work. Walk with your husband, walk with a friend or walk your dog(s), just do it!
3. Drink Plenty of Water… I recommend at least 1/2 your body weight each day, so if you weigh 150lbs you should drink 75oz of water daily. I add a small amount of 100% grape juice to my water to make it easier to drink.
4. Eat More Frequently… I know it sounds like this will add weight but trust me it won’t! Just eat small frequent meals and healthy snacks but stop before you feel full. You will feel satisfied a few minutes after you stop. Then eat again when you feel hungry.
5. Stay Away From White Foods… White bread, white sugar, white rice, salt and potatoes. These foods will KILL your diet!
6. Limit Alcohol Consumption… Reports show some benefit from moderate (one drink per day for the ladies, two for men) alcohol consumption but it will really stop or slow weight loss!
7. Go Shopping and Plan Ahead… This is crucial! Make sure you have
enough healthy food and snacks with you so that you are not tempted to grab a bag of chips or stop at a fast food drive-thru!
Read the Purification Guide to learn more about the detox that I
recommend and call or email me if you have questions or comments.
To Your Good Health!